Sunday, July 3, 2011

Still a bad Blogger.....BUT a FREE PATTERN!!!!

So I have discovered I am still not a good blogger! LOL My BIG issue is.......What on EARTH do I blog about?!?!?!!? A big reason why I started this blog in the first place was to get some exposure for my shop. I'm not really sure if it is working but I gotta give it time. Sales don't happen overnight nor does one become a famous crocheter over night (one of my big goals in life.....no just kidding!)

As I sit here and write, I still have no idea what this blog post is about! So I think I will attempt to write out my pattern for a toddler size in the Froggy Hat. Would that suffice as a blog post? Yes, yes, I know it is summer and all but Superstore has their fall clothes out already, why not crochet a hat, too?

Let me know if it works out for you!!


Froggy Ear Flap Hat Toddler Size
Cap
With green worsted weight yarn and a size 5mm hook.
Start with 12hdc in a magic ring/magic circle/adjustable circle . (Don't know what this is? Check it out here.)
All rounds are joined with a slip stitch.
R2: 2hdc in each hdc (24)
R3: (hdc in next 2 hdc, 2hdc in next hdc) repeat around (32)
R4: (hdc in next 3hdc, 2hdc in next hdc) repeat around (40)
R5: (hdc in next 4hdc, 2hdc in next hdc) repeat around (48)
R6: (hdc in next 5hdc, 2hdc in next hdc) repeat around (52)
R7: (hdc in next 6hdc, 2hdc in next hdc) repeat around (60)
R8: (hdc in next 7hdc, 2hdc in next hdc) repeat around (68)
R9: hdc around (68)
Keep repeating round 9 until hat measures 7 inches. Fasten off. Here is a cool link to a different way to fasten off a hat.

Earflaps
With right side facing count 9 hdc from fasten off. Join with a sl st in 10th hdc.
R1: Hdc in next 15 hdc. Ch 1 turn (15)
R2: Hdc in next 15 hdc. Ch1 trun (15)
R3: Hdc2tog, hdc in next 11hdc, hdc2tog in last 2hdc. Ch1 turn (13)
R4: Hdc in each hdc. Ch 1 turn (13)
R5: Hdc2tgog, hdc in next 9hdc, hdc2tog in last 2hdc. Ch 1 turn (11)
R6: Hdc2tgog, hdc in next 7hdc, hdc2tog in last 2hdc. Ch 1 turn (9)
R7: Hdc2tgog, hdc in next 5hdc, hdc2tog in last 2hdc. Ch 1 turn (7)
R8: Hdc2tgog, hdc in next 3hdc, hdc2tog in last 2hdc. Ch 1 turn (5)
Fasten off.

With right side facing count 24hdc from fasten off spot on cap. Join with slip stitch. Repeat R1-8 from first earflap. Fasten off.

Edging
With right side facing,and black yarn, sc all the way around cap and earflaps. Fasten off with the technique used for the cap. Weave in all ends.

Eyes
There a few parts to the eyes, I will start with the black circle.
R1: In a magic ring, 6sc. Join with sl st. Fasten off. (make two) Leave a long tail for sewing.
Now for the white.
R1: In magic ring, 12dc. Join with sl st. Fasten off. (make two) Leave a long tail for sewing.
Sew black circle to the middle of the white circle
And finally for the green, googly eye part! This is worked in an amigurumi style. Do not join rounds rather use a marker.
R1: In magic ring, 5sc
R2: 2sc in each sc (10)
R3: (Sc in next sc, 2sc in next sc) repeat around (15)
R4: (Sc in next 2sc, 2sc in next sc) repeat around (20)
R5-8: Sc in each sc
R9: (Sc in next 2sc, sc2tog) repeat around (15)
R10: (Sc in next sc, sc2tog) repeat around (10)
Fasten off. Leave a long tail for sewing. Sew circles to eyes, positioning them how you like! Stuff and sew to the top of the hat.

Finishing
For the big froggy smile I used some black yarn and a blunt needle with a back stitch.
Cut 8 lengths of black yarn long enough to fold in half and braid for the braids on the flaps.(These can be however long or short you want them!) Insert hook in the last row of the earflap. Fold the black yarn lengths in half, place on hook and pull up a loop. (It can be a little tricky to get all the yarn through but you can do it!!) Pull ends trough loop and pull into a tight knot. Braid however long you like and cut ends so they are even. Repeat for the other side!

I hope this works for you and I hope you like it!!! However, please do not sell this pattern. You may sell the finished products at local craft shows and the like, but please not on Etsy.

Also let me know if you see any flaws!! :)

Thanks!! Have a SUPER day! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this hat! thanks for sharing the pattern! me and my son just spent a few weeks visiting my mom (she was just diagnosed with breast cancer so i went to help out with doctor appointments and things) but my son and his gramma spent so much time out catching frogs, when we left he was up to 7 that he was keeping in a tank. we had to let them go before we left and it broke his heart so now i cant wait to make him this hat to cheer him up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful!!!!!! I am so happy I could help while you guys are going through this tough time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL You might be a bad blogger in your opinion but at least you know how to start. I can't even get started.

    Thanks for the frog hat pattern. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete